Wavefront Custom LASIK
Wavefront is the most advanced laser vision correction technology available today for measuring optical distortions in the eye. This procedure has enabled 94% of our LASIK patients to see 20/20 or better with improved night vision.
Using the VISX Wavefront™ system, Drs. Beers and Liu custom tailor a treatment specifically designed for each individual eye. Like a fingerprint, everyone’s eye is different; yet, in the past, these unique imperfections could not be measured. (Many individuals have the same prescription for their glasses and contact lenses, but no two people have the exact same prescription using Wavefront technology.)
Wavefront LASIK uses a measuring device called an aberrometer which generates a “map” of the eye. This map shows detailed information about both “lower order aberrations” (which make up 90% of visual imperfections such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism) and “higher order aberrations” (the remaining 10% of visual imperfections that cause problems such as halos, glare and poor night vision). The standard LASIK procedure performed by many doctors only corrects lower order aberrations, meaning some patients may experience halos or poor night vision. Wavefront LASIK corrects both types of aberrations giving you the highest quality and acuity of vision possible.
How Wavefront Works
The patient simply stares into the aberrometer which beams light on the retina. These beams of light can be thought of as traveling in “waves”. As these waves of light pass through the eye, they can become wrinkled and distorted. These errors are then captured and displayed on the map. The amount of wrinkle or error in the wavefront reflected from the retina is compared by the computer to the “perfect” wavefront in order to determine the optical correction. The shape of each person’s wavefront is unique.
The data from the aberrometer is computer generated and sent directly to the VISX Star 4 Excimer Laser. This laser represents the most advanced laser technology platform available today and works seamlessly with the Wavefront aberrometer.
Benefits of Wavefront
Wavefront technology enhances the LASIK procedure in several ways:
- Better Diagnostics According to VISX, Wavefront “provides 25-times more precision than measurements using standard methods for glasses and contact lenses.” The computerized aberrometer provides much more information than when your doctor asks “which can you see better, one or two?” Because Drs. Liu and Beers have better diagnostic information during the evaluation process, they can make a more informed judgment regarding how to best treat your vision.
- Safer Procedure VISX WavePrint™ aberrometer is used to measure a person’s unique optical system within the eye. These measurements are then used to guide the VISX Star 4 Excimer Laser™ for vision correction treatment making the surgery itself safer and more accurate.
- Sharper, Higher Quality Vision The VISX WavePrint™ aberrometer is used to measure a person’s unique optical system within the eye. These measurements are then used to guide the VISX Star 4 Excimer Laser™ for vision correction treatment making the surgery itself safer and more accurate.
FDA Clinical Study Results
The following are FDA clinical study results one year after the VISX CustomVue procedure*:
- 100% could pass a driving test without glasses or contact lenses
- 98% could see 20/20 or better without glasses or contact lenses
- 70% could see better than 20/20 without glasses or contact lenses
Four times as many participants were very satisfied with their night vision after CustomVue, compared to their night vision with their previous glasses or contact lenses.
The History of Wavefront
The United States Food and Drug Administration issued its first approval of Wavefront™ technology for ophthalmology in August, 2002. However, the technology has been used for decades in powerful telescopes to reduce distortions and allow for better visualization of distant objects in space. Although standard LASIK has been performed for a decade, it wasn’t until Wavefront technology became available that NASA approved the procedure for use on its astronauts.
* Footnote: 2008 AMO USA