ARE YOU AT RISK FOR VISION LOSS FROM GLAUCOMA?
TAKE THE FOLLOWING QUIZ TO FIND OUT
1. Do you have a family history of glaucoma?
Glaucoma runs in families, so if you have a first degree relative with glaucoma, you are at increased risk!
2. Do you take any steroid medications including pills, creams, eye drops, or inhalers?
Steroid medication reduces the outflow of fluid from your eye and increases your risk of glaucoma.
3. Do you have diabetes or hypertension?
These conditions affect the blood vessels of the eye and make you more at risk for glaucoma.
4. Are you Japanese or African American?
These groups are more at risk for open angle glaucoma.
5. Are you highly nearsighted or farsighted?
Highly myopic patients are at greater risk for open angle glaucoma and highly farsighted patients are at risk for narrow angle glaucoma.
6. Have you had an eye injury to your eye?
Blunt trauma can damage the filter of your eye and lead to high pressures.
7. Do you have thin corneas?
If the corneas are thin, then the measured pressure of your eye is artificially reduced and your real eye pressure is higher than measured! We can check your corneal thickness easily in the office.
8. Have you not had an eye exam in more than two years?
Early glaucoma does not cause pain or noticeable vision loss. If you have not been checked, you may glaucoma and not realize it.
If you have answered yes to one or more of these questions, please come in for your eye exam. We have a Heidelberg Optic Nerve Analyzer that can detect even early cases of glaucoma!