Crystalens Accommodating Lens
Drs. Beers and Liu use the most advanced lenses available today for Cataract and Refractive Lens Exchange surgery. Crystalens is an accommodating intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person’s cataracts and presbyopia- loss of near and intermediate vision. Crystalens ® was modeled after the human eye. Like the natural lens, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate in order to focus on objects in the environment at different distances.
- The first and only FDA-approved accommodating intraocular lens
- The only FDA approved intraocular lens that uses the natural focusing ability of the eye
- The only FDA approved presbyopia correcting IOL for cataract patients that provides a single focal point throughout a continuous range of vision
Crystalens patients typically do not have problems with glare, halos and night vision. Crystalens focuses only one image to the back of the eye, thus avoiding halos at night.
The effectiveness of Crystalens was proven in clinical trials:
- Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens (88.4%) could see better at all distances then patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%).
- Most patients have continued to report excellent vision 7 years after implantation with Crystalens. More than 100,000 Crystalens implants have been implanted worldwide, and that number is growing daily.
Crystalens accommodates like the natural lens. After implantation of Crystalens, most patients will see brighter and clearer from distance, intermediate to near like they did when they were younger.
Benefits of Crystalens
Provides a Broad Range of Vision: Crystalens moves and changes shape using the eye’s natural focusing mechanism, instead of remaining fixed and stationary within the eye. This movement, or accommodation, allows the eye to focus on objects across a broad range of distances to reduce or eliminate dependence on glasses. In particular, this accommodation provides significant advantages in addressing intermediate vision.
Maintains Clarity of Vision: Crystalens directs all available light received by the eye to a single focal point, comparable to that of a healthy natural lens.
Patient Adjustment Not Required: Crystalens produces a single image consistent with normal vision, meaning patients have an increased depth of field compared to a single focus standard intraocular lens.